LAUC-D Executive Board Minutes
January 24, 2005
 
Agenda (Sent by Bob Heyer-Gray on 1/21/05)
 
1.    Call to Order
2.    Announcements
3.    Old Business:
                    a. Minutes of the December meeting
                    b. LAUCD Professional Issues Committee on a pilot project to
                    promote recruitment to the librarian profession at UC
                    Davis. Anything new?
                    c. Proper and best use of research committee funds. Anything new?
                    d. Proposal for LAUC statewide to start up its own journal. Update
4.    New Business:
                    a. LAUC-D Distinguished Librarian Award
5.    Other
6.    Adjournment
 
 
Revised Agenda on January 24, 2005
 
1.    Call to Order
 
2.    Announcements
 
3.    Old Business:
        a. Minutes of the December meeting
        b. LAUCD Professional Issues Committee on a pilot project to
        promote recruitment to the librarian profession at UC
        Davis. Anything new?
        c. Proper and best use of research committee funds. Anything new?
        d. Proposal for LAUC statewide to start up its own journal. Update
 
4.    New Business:
                    a. LAUC Statewide letter to University Librarians
 
3.    Old Business:
                    e. Program Committee honorariums
 
4.    New Business:
        b. LAUC-D Distinguished Librarian Award
 
5.    Other
 
6.    Adjournment
 
******************************************************************************
 
LAUC-D Executive Board Meeting
Minutes
Monday, January 24, 2005
11am-1pm
 
Attending Officers: B. Heyer-Gray (Chair); K. Darr (Vice Chair); R.
Gustafson (Secretary/Recorder)
 
Attending Committee Chairs: D. Goldstein (Research); Sarah John
(Nominations & Elections); David Michalski (Program); Jerry Thompson
(Professional Activities Committee, PAC); Sandy Vella (Professional
Issues)
 
Guests: None
 
 
1.    Call to Order  Called at 11:05 am
 
2.    Announcements    --  None
 
 
3.    Old Business:
 
        a. Minutes of the December meeting  Several corrections made.
Accepted as revised when Daniel Goldstein reviews Agenda item 4.b.
 
        b. LAUC-D Professional Issues Committee on a pilot project to
        promote recruitment to the librarian profession at UC
        Davis. Anything new?
 
Sandy Vella noted that the Professional Issues Committee met on January
25th at 2 pm. They came up with a short list of participants and
prioritized the list with diversity in mind.  Committee members will get
copies of recruitment documents to bring to the Pathways Career Symposium
program. There was discussion of a potential webpage with useful links to
library schools etc.  The program is on Saturday, May 14, 2005 for a
one-hour slot to be decided by Teresa Dillinger.  Scheduling and room
assignment for this Pathways Career Symposium is done by the ICC.  Sandy
will confirm the participants and at the end of February bios of the
participants will be requested.  Speakers will make brief presentations
and distribute appropriate materials.  Sandy will not be able to attend on
5/14/05 and Peg Durkin (vice-chair) may take over.  There will be three
speakers but there can be other people to take a break with the attendees.
All different professions presenting but this is the first time for the
library to participate with UCD graduate students at this event.  If any
one has ideas, please forward to Sandy.
 
         c. Proper and best use of research committee funds. Anything new?
 
Dan Goldstein heard back from FIVE UC campus libraries. Everyone does
their research fund allocation a bit differently but most of what LAUC-D
Research Committee proposes would be acceptable.  Having a travel grant to
make a presentation at a conference is a new approach.
 
In her capacity as a former Research Committee chair, Sandy noted that
there have been previous surveys of different campuses and several did
have just one pot of money to award research versus travel grants.
 
Dan quickly reviewed the results of his informal survey.
 
Dan noted that LAUC Research Committee money at UCD is entirely derived
from MOU contract which is for represented librarians.[On fourther
investigation, this was found to be incorrect] The PAC money is a
combination of MOU residue and UL contribution.  Ultimately the Research
Committee at UCD may need to have separate lines for represented and
non-represented.
 
Sandy mentioned that carryover may be determined by local language. Dan
also pointed out that carryover is guaranteed by the MOU if grant is
allocated.
 
Next Monday, January 31 the LAUC-D Research Committee will meet to write
up a short travel grant proposal.  There are two aspects to travel: 1) If
traveling to do research, can [ask for funds] throughout the year; 2)
travel for meetings is PAC end-of-year
 
Dan emphasized that the priority is still to fund research grants but then
remaining funds can support travel for research.
 
Sandy confirmed that about 10 years ago when she chaired the Research
Committee they studied this but UCD decided not to do this.
 
Dan noted that there should be a threshold value that the Research
Committee funds do not go below.  Seed grants are usually $1,000 or less.
 
Pat French asked if this would be an ongoing supplement or just as needed?
Dan stated that he envisions it as PAC requesting once a year and
sometimes the Research Committee says yes & sometimes no.
 
This new way of funding travel may require internal policy change for
Research Committee as there would be need for up-front funding for travel
money for research or for production costs.
 
Dan will bring proposals back to the Executive Board.
 
Jerry Thompson pointed out that there may be issues for administrative
staff such as the timeline to get requests submitted.  Possibly making it
earlier.
 
Dan asked who will talk with Library Administration about this LAUC-D
proposal?  Bob Heyer-Gray will talk with Marilyn.  There is hope that this
can be wrapped up in time this year for the end-of-year (04/05) PAC funds.
 
        d. Proposal for LAUC statewide to start up its own journal. Update
 
Bob brought this to the statewide LAUC Exec Board and people are very
excited about this proposal.  Next step is to get an ad hoc committee.
Dan's name was proposed from Bob for UCD representation.  Terry Huwe, LAUC
President will talk with the University Librarians about this in his
letter.  Bob has alerted Marilyn Sharrow that this is in the works. Bob
skipped to new business concerning the LAUC President letter.
 
 
4.    New Business:
 
        a. LAUC Statewide letter to University Librarians
 
Bob decided to mention the additional items in the letter.  There is a
white paper being written by Kari Lucas on the role of instructional
librarians via the Ad Hoc Committee on Instructional Roles for Librarians.
This paper is looking at changing the APM wording to state that librarians
can provide classes without having to have an instructor title.  Applies
to both for-credit as well as non-credit library instruction.  Other
position papers noted in the LAUC President letter are on libraries and
privacy; and copyright. Ken Firestein has volunteered for the privacy one;
and Gail Nichols and Karl Kocher for the copyright one.  Bob will put one
last call to LAUC-D members for volunteers.  He asked that Exec Bd members
send any names to him, too.
 
Additional items in the letter include topics that the LAUC President and
ULs will plan to talk about in February 2005:  collaborating with CDL;
strategic directions discussion; new LAUC statewide website; new LAUC
statewide meeting website; bylaws overhaul (a while since statewide
revised; general goal to make less restrictive); strengthen the points of
collaboration with/between LAUC and the CDL, University Librarians, UL
advisory structure, etc.
 
The draft white paper is 1.5 pages long with attachments and Bob will send
this draft to the LAUC-D Executive Board.
 
 
Return to
3. OLD Business
 
        e. Program Committee honorariums
 
David Michalski noted that there were some speakers who wanted to give
their honorariums to non-profits.  This will need to be brought to
Marilyn.  David has sheets to identify the non-profits (foundations) for a
total of $200.  He assumes it will be taken out of LAUC-D Program
Committee funds and there is a procedure that needs to be followed.
 
 
Return to
4. NEW Business
 
        b. LAUC-D Distinguished Librarian Award
 
Bob noted that we're overdue to present this as it should be given every
three years and the last presentation was in 2001 to Karl Kocher.
 
The procedures for the award note that there should be an announcement of
a call for nominations.  This will go out in February.
 
Committee members are: the past LAUC-D chair (Terri Malmgren); one LAUC-D
member; one Academic Senate committee member; the past chair of the LAUC-D
Review Board (with Nancy Kushigian gone, the previous chair is Karleen
Darr); and the University Librarian or designate.
 
The committee normally serves one year.  Deadline for nominations will be
April 2005 with the award anticipated for May or June 2005.
 
Bob will take the first step of checking with Library Administration and
Marilyn about the monetary award of $1,000.
 
 
5.    Other   -- None
 
 
6.    Adjournment -- 12:15 pm